Focusing on Focus
Over and over we get bombarded with this thought…”you must learn to focus if you are to be successful”. I agree, however don’t just tell me focus is a worthy thing. Tell me what focus is. Tell me how to do it!
- In optics, focus is where two points of light meet.
- In geometry, focus describes a conic position (or you can say it describes a point of beginning).
- In an earthquake, focus describes the epicenter.
- In life, to focus is to bring a high degree of attention to a singular issue.
When focus is used as an action word (verb) it means “to cause, to do”. How do we actually bring a high degree of attention to the right issue? How do we engage focus? How do we do it?
- By changing what we think on.
- By determining our vision/mission (both business and personal)
- By defining our values (both business and personal)
- By aligning our goals and objectives to our mission/vision/values.
- By determining the few things to do today that will help us meet our goals and objectives.
- By believing in our objectives.
- By expecting results.
“What we focus on grows”. The minute we begin to think about what can be; opportunity opens to us. When we spend our time thinking about what can be, we find that energy and the opportunity converge. Focus, then, is not Rocket Science; rather focus is a matter of our thinking. Align our thinking; this is how we can do it!
By Dave Waldo